Tuesday, 17 September 2013

“I would like you to put my trauma center out of business…”

A clip from yesterday’s Rachel Maddow Show, addressing the mass-shooting at the Washington Navy Yard. At the 7:30 mark (sorry, still can’t get the Clip-&-Share to work), the Chief Medical Officer of the Washington Trauma Center, Dr. Janis Orlowski, gives an emotional response to the mass-shooting at the Navy Yard. (Her remarks start at 5:38, and go on until around 8:50.) I highly recommend you watch this clip:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

“You see what I call ‘senseless trauma’. There is something evil in our society that we as Americans have to work to eradicate… there’s something wrong here, when we have these multiple shootings… We have to work together to get rid of it. I would like you to put my trauma center out of business, I really would… We just cannot have one more shooting with so many people killed. We’ve gotta figure this out…”

Just to close out this post, I thought I’d share the final segment, from the same episode of The Rachel Maddow Show – “Mass shootings part of how we live now”. As a non-American, I can only look on with sadness and, yes, disgust, at how pro-gun fetishists in the United States refuse to see the connection between high rates of gun violence and the easy access to guns, not to mention the Hollywood-esque glamorization of firearms. This doesn’t happen in countries with stricter, tighter, or total gun control. It is an observable, quantifiable fact. And yet, to discuss guns with an American (of any political stripe) invariably leads to patronising and dismissive responses – or, less frequently, hostile attempts at ridicule.

“Are we supposed to believe that Americans are just more violent by nature?” I asked a fellow intern in New York, September 2012. “Maybe we are,” he replied.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments:

Post a Comment