Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Happy 50th Jon Stewart

I really wish I could take credit for finding these two clips, and even the idea of a Happy Birthday Jon Stewart post, but The Nation’s Greg Mitchell beat me to it (well played, professional journalist who’s way better at this than I am…!).

The Daily Show (and, later, The Colbert Report) have been staples of my political/comedy diet for as long as I can remember (I’m getting old, that timeframe is getting shorter every year…), and Stewart is at his best in election years and when he’s doing the analysis of Fox News that other media outlets are too scared of doing. Indecision 2004 was my first extended Daily Show experience (I even have the DVD set), and I’ve been hooked ever since. That it was not always easily available in the UK was most irksome, but it got better.

Here he is in one of the best scenes from his show, taking apart that most buffoon-like of conservatives, Glenn Beck:

And, in possibly the first time I ever saw him outside of The Daily Show, in which he takes apart the bow-tie-wearing Tucker Carlson on Crossfire:

This remains one of the strangest segments on any media I’ve seen. The fact that Carlson doesn’t seem to understand that the Daily Show is a comedy show, and that by definition his remit is completely different to that of a “real news” program…

Stewart: “I’m here to confront you, because we need help from the media, and they’re hurting us… What you do is not honest.”

No comments:

Post a Comment