Saturday, 12 May 2012

Honesty & dishonesty in just one sentence…

On the above segment from Today’s UP! With Chris Hayes, there was a clip from Candidate Romney that I thought had an interesting duality, in that it was informatively both honest and dishonest all at the same time. Specifically, when discussing gay rights, Romney said (at around the 4:20 mark),

“I have the same view that I’ve had since… well, since running for office.”

The statement is dishonest, because Romney’s had a couple of different position on gay rights since first running for government office. For example, in his race again Ted Kennedy for Senate, he said he would be more liberal than Kennedy, which is very different from his current position (which I believe to be his true feelings on the matter).

The statement is honest, though, in that it points out that Romney makes decisions based on whether or not he’s running for office. Which is not exactly news, but it’s nice to get these things on tape. It reminds me of the October 18th 2011 debate, in which Romney got tagged by Rick Perry about hiring illegals (link includes video), to which Weathervane’s response was,

“Look, you can’t have any illegals working on our property. I’m running for office, for Pete’s sake, I can’t have illegals.”

Again, his concern does not appear to have been the fact that his employees were illegal, but that their illegal status would be a problem for his electoral prospects.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: Mitt Romney has the courage of his ambitions, and that’s it.

No comments:

Post a Comment