Friday, 13 January 2012

Rolling Stone, the Generals, “The Operators”…

First off, I should state that I do really want to read The Operators – it’s a book I’ve been waiting for ever since I read the Rolling Stone article it grew out of (it was inevitable). It was an interesting and very well-written article, and certainly useful for my US foreign policy PhD. That being said, I think the reaction to the article was completely overblown. Mainly because the storm of fallout started to swirl in the US media before the general public was actually able to read the article in question. When I finally managed to get hold of the article… Well, ok, so the generals were frustrated by the execution of the war and the role of civilians in the military and armchair quarterbacking – how is this news? Even the supposed slurs against Vice President Biden, while ill-advised, were not even close to being the worst I’ve read/heard. Maybe I’m missing something, I don’t know. Regardless, it’s an interesting story, and I’m looking forward to sinking my teeth into the book.

What’s interesting is the apparent difficulty in getting this book published – I could be wrong, but I’ve seen a number of publishers attached, before seeing it change or be listed as “out of print” on Amazon. I’ll do my best to get this reviewed ASAP.

The Operators is available now from Blue Rider Press (a division of Penguin).

No comments:

Post a Comment